Saturday, February 22, 2014

What I'm Listening To... Matt Nathanson's Last of the Great Pretenders

'Just because you learn to breathe underwater, doesn't mean you ever shake the fear of being drowned.'

With Matt Nathanson's 9th full length studio album, we hear a sound we've never heard before from the pop rocker. In the words of the man himself, "And with this record, I can really feel it working. I hear it. These songs feel different, in a really cool way. It's exciting... evolution baby! A bunch of steps forward on the slow slog towards becoming 100% myself. Cause in the end, that's the only real currency we have anyway."

The tracks move away from that "sappy and romantic" pop vibe and move towards a place of rock. Although there always had been a sense of truth to his lyrics, it's clear that with this album Nathanson went deeper and a more personal connection is felt. It's not all sunshine and rainbows, which is something I really appreciated. There's a feeling of loss within the love in some of the tracks and it's real. A great example is the album's single 'Mission Bells'.


I'm a big lyrics girl. Whenever I get a new album, I listen to it straight through once to experience the whole thing. I listen to it through again and pay close attention the lyrics. Often, lyrics make or break a record for me. I want to understand the story and the message. I want to feel the feeling of the track. I want to have the full experience of the album.

The tracks I have on repeat: 'Birthday Girl', 'Kill the Lights', 'Heart Starts'

'Last of the Great Pretenders' is available now on iTunes, Amazon and even better, get it at your local record store!

Have you listened to the album? Have any album suggestions for me? Leave a comment below!




No comments:

Post a Comment